New Ingerland heraldry
|New Ingerland heraldry|
Armorial bearings of of New Ingerland
|Date established||6 November 1837|
|Governing body||College of Heraldry & Peerage|
|Chief Herald||Sir Christopher Sullivan|
New Ingerland heraldry is an expression of the ancient art of heraldry derived in mediaeval times. In New Ingerland, the granting of heraldic arms to individuals is part of the national honours system. The heraldry of New Ingerland lies firmly within the Ingerish national tradition, and has many of the same characteristics of the mother country. At the same time, New Ingerland has developed many innovations appropriate for a new nation on the other side of the world.
When New Ingerland was settled and established as a kingdom, a decision was made to revive the use of heraldic devices for worthy recipients as part of the creation of the various orders, decorations, and medals of New Ingerland. The College was established by Letters Patent signed by Alexander I on 6 November 1837, which were then presented to the Chief Herald of New Ingerland, Sir David Jardine. The patent declared that The College of Heraldry and the Peerage shall have the sole right in the granting of armorial bearings in New Ingerland.
As expected from a country descended from Ingerish settler, New Ingerland heraldry shows an overwhelming influence from Ingerland. As with Ingerish heraldry, the New Ingerland tradition is known for its use of Anglo-Norman terminology in describing tinctures, furs, and ordinaries. Other characteristics in common include the more widespread use of semy fields and furs than is seen in other heraldic traditions. Another common feature between New Ingerland and Ingerland is the strict control of heraldic grants by a retinue of royally-appointed officers of arms.
There are a number of small differences from the Ingerish tradition that have developed in New Ingerland. The first is wholesale absence of cadency for all except the eldest son, with younger sons of an armiger not automatically eligible to bear arms themselves. Daughters will use their father's arms impaled with that of their husband after they marry, but are otherwise not armigerous unless they are the sole heir (a heraldic heiress).
The College of Heraldry and the Peerage is the body responsible for heraldry in New Ingerland, and was established in 1837. The College is responsible for:
- The creation and granting of new armorial bearings, flags, and badges for:
- New Ingerland subjects;
- Government entities;
- Local authorities, e.g. county, municipal, and parish;
- New Ingerland Defence Force units;
- Hospitals and other medical bodies;
- Professional institutes and associations;
- Schools, colleges, polytechnics, and university colleges; and
- Social and sporting clubs.
- The registration of existing armorial bearings, which have been granted by other recognised heraldic authorities, and;
- The provision of information on correct heraldic practices for organisations and the general public.
References and notes
- ↑ New Ingerland Gazette.
- ↑ The only exception to this is the Ingerish Royal Family, where cadency remains in common use.