Grand Albanyshire Canal
|Grand Albanyshire Canal|
The Grand Albanyshire Canal is a 78-mile (126 km) canal and navigation system in New Ingerland linking Port Waiparu with Regentsmere via Port Frederick. Completed in 1845, it connects the River Waiparu at Ferrers to the River Maria, Lake Lamberton, and Regents River systems.
Until the arrival of the railways, the canal was for approximately 15 years the main canal artery of trade between the river valleys of Albanyshire, and provided a safer means of navigation than coastal shipping. After the turn of the 20th century, the canal lost it's importance to the local economy and was abandoned in 1950. After a period of restoration in the early 2000s, today the canal is frequently used for recreation and pleasure boating.
The locks on the canal are as follows.
|Lock Number||Name||Rise (or fall) of lock, feet & inches (metres)|
|1 – 4||Lower Lamberton Locks||41’ 0” (12.49 m)|
|5||Lamberton Top Lock||9’ 0” (2.74 m)|
|6||Fernbank Twin Locks||9’ 9” (m)|
|7 – 8|