Demographics of New Ingerland

From Eratosthenia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

According to the 2010 census, the total population of New Ingerland stands at 3,473,671. It is the fourth-largest in Oceania (behind Australia, Papua New Guinea, and New Zealand) and the 155th-largest in the world. Its overall population density is amongst the lowest in the world at 54.46 inhabitants per square mile (21.03/km2). Most of the New Ingerland population descends from immigrants who came from Ingerland and Wales between 1836 and 1945. At the end of the Second World War, the population of New Ingerland was just over 1,486,000. Over the last 76 years, that population has increased by 1.9 million, with the growth resulting from the combination of a strategic immigration scheme and a solid birth rate with families having two or three children. The rate of population growth has declined somewhat since the 1970s, but remains positive.

Whilst the vast majority of immigrants have been of English origin, there are now established communities from elsewhere in Europe, as well as Asia and Africa. These communities can mostly be found in Kingsbury, Corfe Harbour and Port Frederick. Minority ethnic groups number less than 8% of the total population, but they have already left their mark on New Ingerland's society and culture.

Population and ancestry

New Ingerland ancestry
Ancestry Percent
Ingerland
  
84%
Wales
  
6%
Ngati Mōri
  
2%
Other Ingerish Isles
  
2%

New Ingerland is overwhelmingly English in language and ethnicity. 90% of New Ingerlanders can trace ancestry of two or more grandparents back to Ingerland and Wales. Of the remaining 10% are from the rest of the world, whilst 2% of can trace ancestry back to before European settlement in 1836.

Typical of many western nations, there a slightly more women than men. Improved living and health standards have evened the score somewhat, and in 2010 the population consisted of 1,340,363 women (50.005%) and 1,340,095 men (49.995%).

Religion

New Ingerland is renowned as being something of a religious nation, and while New Ingerlanders are varied in their own belief systems, most have a strong attachment to their denomination, with attendances amongst the highest for any western nation. Christians number 1,851,119 adherents or about 88% of the national population, making it the dominant religion in New Ingerland. Just over 7% of New Ingerlanders are either Buddhist, Hindu, Jewish, Muslim, or Sikh. 4.71%, profess to no faith at all.

Freedom of religion is an implied right in New Ingerland, as long as it is not likely to cause conflict with the law or injury to another person or group.

Statistical summary

  • Population: 3,473,671 (2010)
  • Age structure:
    • 0-15 years: 22%
    • 16-64 years: 62%
    • 65 years and over: 16%
  • Population growth rate: 7.6% (2005-2010)
  • Birth rate: 9.85 births/1,000 population (2010)
  • Death rate: 3.25 deaths/1,000 population (2010)
  • Net migration rate: 2.1 migrant(s)/1,000 population (2010)

References and notes