Royal New Ingerland Navy
|Royal New Ingerland Navy|
4,335 Reserve Personnel
|Part of||New Ingerland Defence Force|
|March||Heart of Oak (Listen)|
|Chief of Staff||Vice Admiral Joshua Brown|
The Royal New Ingerland Navy is the chief naval force of New Ingerland, and is part of the New Ingerland Defence Force. By world standards, the Navy is is classified as a green-water navy, with a primary capability of operating within 500 nautical miles (930 kilometres; 580 miles) of home port. The navy deliberately lacks the ability for sustained long-distance combat operations, concentrating instead on the home defence of New Ingerland.
Despite it's diminutive size and status, the Navy has a proud history and has participated in major past conflicts, including the First and Second World Wars The professional head of the Royal New Ingerland Navy is the Chief of the Naval Staff, currently Vice Admiral Joshua Brown. The Chief of the Naval Staff in turn reports to the Chief of the Defence Force Staff.
Prior to the twentieth century, naval defence of New Ingerland was conducted by the Ingerish Royal Navy. In 1906, the Imperial Conference agreed that in addition to new constitutional arrangements, the dominions would assume control over their own naval defence, with the Royal Navy to provide support and training, and in the event of conflict, serious reinforcement.
New Ingerland's first commissioned ship was the HMS Invictus, which was launched in 1915.
The Royal New Ingerland Navy is composed of regular, reserve and national service personnel. The regular navy is a full professional outfit, whereas the naval reserve is a part time reserve outfit only called upon in emergencies. While New Ingerland employed the use of conscription, conscripts could not be deployed onto active duty and acted only in a support role after their initial training period. New Ingerland used conscription, known locally as National Service, from 1955 until it was discontinued in 2015.
There is a single command, known as the Home Fleet, which is divided into two squadrons. Each of the squadrons is commanded by a Rear Admiral and has maritime and shore components organised into flotillas. The Northern Squadron is responsible for the defence of the sea north of the 42nd parallel, and is based out of HMND Goodwood near Goodwood, Beaufortshire. The Southern Squadron is charged with the defence of the sea south of the 42nd parallel, and is based out of HMND Te Piha. Air support for the Navy is provided by 108 Wing, Royal New Ingerland Air Force, which is based out of AFS Codrington on Lunen Island.
The Royal New Ingerland Navy operates from three principal establishments across New Ingerland, plus a handful of smaller facilities that support the operation of the fleet. The principal establishments are the two dockyards, located at Goodwood and Te Piha, with all commanded by a Commodore. All dockyards carry the designation HMND for His Majesty's Naval Dockyard. In addition, smaller fleet facilities exist at Bentley, Bonshaw, Goodwood (Seawolf and Sceptre), Te Piha (Scimitar and Scylla), and Whangaroa, and carry the designation of HMNS for His Majesty's Naval Station.
The current fleet involves eighteen ships and submarines plus supply and support vessels.