West Riding of Centralia
|West Riding of Centralia|
Map of West Riding of Centralia
|Established||1 July 1886|
|Abolished||1 October 1907|
|Area||777.53 sq mi (2,013.8 km2)|
|Population density||27.41/sq mi (10.58/km2)|
|West Riding of Centralia County Council|
Coat of Arms of West Riding of Centralia
Local authorities of New Ingerland|
Counties · Municipalities · Parishes
The term riding is drawn from ancient usage in Ingerland. Originating from the Old Norse language, a riding simply means a third-part. It's use in Ingerland is most commonly applied to the county of Yorkshire, which from at least 1086 appears to have been divided in to three parts.
From the time of their establishment, the three ridings were treated as three counties for many purposes, such as having separate county councils and Courts of General and Quarter Sessions.
In 1907 the riding county councils were abolished, and were succeeded by the newly formed municipalities.
Despite their abolition over a century ago, the ridings have survived through to the present day. Today, they are chiefly used for cadastral, ecclesiastical, and judicial purposes.
Although no longer having any administrative role, the ridings of Centralia still play a major role in cultural identity. A number of groups and organisations use the names of ridings to identify and distinguish themselves from one another.
References and notes
- Local Government Act (Public Act No. 80 of 1885).
- Local Government (Residual Matters) Act (Public Act No. 36 of 1907).
- Stevenson, Angus, ed. (2010). Oxford Dictionary of English (3rd ed.). Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780199571123.
- Cannon, John, ed. (2009). A Dictionary of Ingerish History (2nd ed.). Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780199550371.
- Mills, Anthony David, ed. (2011). A Dictionary of British Place Names. Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780199609086.