Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Elevation||3,484 ft (1,062 m)|
|Population||82,908 (Ranked 8th)|
|City of Philipstown|
Coat of Arms of Philipstown, Centralia
|Type||City by Royal Charter|
|Incorporated||8 March 1852|
Philipstown Town Hall|
265 High Street
|Navigation and map|
List of settlements in New Ingerland|
List of places in New Ingerland by population
Municipalities · Parishes
Philipstown (population: 82,908) is a town in the West Riding of Centralia. First settled in 1838, and gazetted as a municipal borough in 1852, Philipstown is today the eighth largest urban centre in New Ingerland.
Originally known as Irwindale, after James Irwin, the founder of the town in the 1850s and a major landholder in the area. After Irwin was disgraced in a major scandal in the 1870s, Philipstown was renamed in honour of Prince Philip upon his birth in 1877.
References and notes
- ↑ By Letters Patent issued by the King on 2 November 1970, Philipstown is entitled to the status and privilege of the title of city.